Porcelain flowers


Here are some wonderful master craftsman that use porcelain to create soft delicate, realistic flowers in a medium that can often look bulky or tacky. They seem to excel in still capturing the fragility of the flower beautifully! These examples where found through Pinterest.

Lada Peskova

Lada Peskova

Vladimir Kanevsky

Vladimir Kanevsky

Working in clay, as with working in metal, there is a fine line between adding substance to piece and adding volume especially when working with the delicate subject matter of a flower. I think its our own connotations with it that seem to determine its level of success. A seed or seed pod is fine to make bulky and robust, large in volume, large in size, it is hardy reality and so can imitate this in art. Some flowers and leaves seem suited to treat the same way it would seems, a big protea flower can be built up with layers and layers of textures and lotus leaves are large to start and so the association is not a big leap.

In my work, jewellery is already small in stature but I take even smaller things than the end piece and blow them up and highlight aspects of  plant or flower, as I did in my "overlooked: weed " range of jewellery in 2014. I make them robust and use a variety of thicknesses and textures to add volume but I still keep it visually delicate. This year I have started to think of my work and imagine my work as larger wall mounted pieces or sculptures. An area I seem to be researching  more and more looking for ways I can take my work to the next step and more and more I seem to be finding my way back to ceramics, a subject I majored in many years ago. It makes me smile as my creative journey seems to circling back. This year is truly going to be a year to use all my talents once again.

Comments